Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Surgery is over!

Drew got out of surgery at 5:00 yesterday. The goods news is that the doctor was able to remove all the visible disease. Dr. Holtzman removed part of Drew's stomach, some of his intestine, some of his diaphragm, his gall-bladder, some of his rectum, his omentum, and some spots on his liver. Drew also had the heated chemo portion of the surgery and he did well in surgery.

We got to see him last night at about 7:30 and he looked great. He was very alert, in no pain, and very talkative. He really looked awesome for what he had just been through. The nurses said he is above the curve from a recovery standpoint.

All day yesterday I was praying for Dr. Holtzman to come out and say he was able to remove all the cancer and he did. Drew has been in some pain over the last few weeks and it has been progressing so I was terrified that the doctor wouldn't have been able to remove all the cancer, so being able to remove all the cancer is good news. Our true hope was that Dr. Holtzman would be able to remove all the cancer, there would have been limited disease, and he would of said this could be a cure, unfortunately we didn't get everything we were wanting to hear. Right now I am just concentrating on the fact that all the visible disease is gone and what happens next is in God's hands. Miracles do happen and hopefully we got one with this surgery and 10 years from now we will look back and think that was hard, but we did it.

5 comments:

  1. What a relief! I'm sure I wasn't the only one checking back to your blog all day and night for an update. How wonderful that Dr. Holtzman was able to remove all the cancer...amazing! Now we all just keep praying for Drew's full recovery and cure. You're never far from our minds. Take good care of each other. XOXOXO Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness! I was so glad to see your post! We love you guys and you are continually in our thoughts and prayers...keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Bless you all! We can't believe Drew was alert and talking - wonderful! I bet he was so glad to see you, Kerri, and you see him as well! Sounds like the doctor did a very thorough job and for that we are thankful. Now we will pray for quick healing and protection from future spots. Stay strong and take care.
    Love, Jack & Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Glad they were able to remove so much! I didn't doubt for a second he would be recovering so well he is so strong!! Praying and thinking of you guys always!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear the good news! You guys are very strong and we are thinking of you. Hoping Drew makes a quick recovery and you are holding up ok.

    ReplyDelete