Drew is connected to so many different tubes it is difficult for him to move around. When he got released from the ICU he was disconnected from the tubes that monitor his blood pressure, oxygen, etc. Yesterday they were able to remove his two nerve blocks in his back and central line connected through his neck. Dr. Holtzman just stopped by and he said they should be able to remove Drew's chest tube today as well. We are so impressed with Dr. Holtzman, what doctor stops by on a Saturday and he has seen Drew everyday, usually you just get a doctor on call not your actual doctor.
Drew lost a lot of blood during surgery and had two units of blood transfused yesterday. Dr. Holtzman held off as long as he could, but Drew was extremely fatigued and the blood really seemed to give Drew back some of his energy. Last night we had a bit of a scare after Drew's transfusion when the IV nurse took out Drew's central line and accessed his port. Shortly after, Drew broke out in a sweat and got extremely hot. We were worried it was a reaction to the transfusion. Luckily by talking it through, Drew and I realized he had some pressure building up in his abdomen and we were able to figure out it was just a kink in one of his tubes causing all the trouble. When the nurse fixed the tube he had instant relief. We are thankful it was nothing serious.
When I came to the hospital this morning Drew was eager to get out of bed and to get cleaned up. He has a lot more energy and will take a walk this morning. I am heading home tonight for 2 days to see Aubrey and to give her a big hug from her Daddy. I am sad to leave Drew but his mom and brother are coming today so I know he will be good hands.
Happy early Easter to everyone and thank you for your thoughts, prayers and support.
Chest tube just came out! yippee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi, Kerri & Drew,
ReplyDeleteEach day will be better.
We think of you constantly.
Ker, have a safe trip and Drew, enjoy the time with your Mom.
We love you,
V&C
Hi Drew im Happy to see you getting better everyday. I am glad that the doctor is wonderful. And you are in a good hospital with Doctors that keep checking on you that is great you need someone to keep you in check. HA HA Kerri have a safe trip home and Happy Easter!! Talk to you soon Melanie
ReplyDeleteHave a safe trip Kerri, and Drew - that's wonderful that your brother and mother are there with you for Easter - what a blessing. We sure do miss you and look forward to the progress reports! We'll be praying for you - Love, Jack & Holly
ReplyDeleteHi Drew,I sure wish you weren't having to go through this stuff. Really the pits. I want my Drewski up and running darn it !!! Ok, you get a little longer to rest. No hanky panky while Kerri's away! Relax as much as you can and heal quickly please. I'm sending more healing energy your way. Can you feeeeeellll it? Love Aunt Karen
ReplyDeleteDrew,
ReplyDeleteThinking and Praying for you every day!!!
Connie Shearer